Charges could be laid against Toronto Community Housing after it was discovered there was furniture in the hallway of a building where a fatal fire happened on Friday, according to Toronto Deputy Fire Chief Jim Jessop.
Three people died and fifteen people were taken to hospital after fire broke out top floor of the five-storey TCH building on Neilson Road Friday afternoon. It is believed the fire was caused by careless smoking on a couch in the hallway.
Toronto fire can lay charges against TCH based on Ontario Fire Code violations in the building, Jessop said. The maximum penalty is a $100,000 fine.